Are Concrete Countertops Durable?
As a building material, concrete has been used for centuries because of its durable nature. Like many other materials, concrete can crack and can be scratched so it is important to care for your concrete countertops properly. Concrete is a porous material, so use a sealer to protect its surface. Concrete countertops have unique care needs, just like countertops made from other materials do.
Are Concrete Countertops Expensive?
Concrete countertops are generally less expensive than granite or quartz, but more expensive than laminate. There are factors to consider, such as the size of your countertop and the extra features you want to incorporate into your designs. It is important to compare prices with your full measurements and designs to determine if concrete countertops are expensive in terms of your budget.
Benefits of Using Concrete for Countertops
- Custom shape and size – One of the greatest benefits to concrete countertops is that they can be any shape or size that you want. The options are endless. Perhaps an oval kitchen island is something you would like. If the location is a long expanse, your concrete countertop can be created to fit the whole space with no seams.
- Custom Color – With your new concrete countertops you have the ability to design them in any color you choose. If you want to match a color in the fabric of your dining room chairs, or a piece of pottery that will be displayed in your kitchen, your concrete countertops can be any color you want.
- Custom Edges – Your concrete countertop edges can be sleek and smooth, rounded or beveled, or even created with a rough finish if that is the style you are looking for.
- Embeds– A unique feature of concrete countertops that is highly sought after by home designers is the ability to embed something into the concrete as it is being manufactured. The item embedded into your concrete countertop can be a functional item, such as a trivet near the stove, or a drain board beside your kitchen sink. The embedded item can be a designer touch that reflects your personal style, such as a glass inlay in a flourish design around the sink or bassinette. Or you can incorporate unique rocks from the area in your bathroom that has a rugged, outdoor design.Fiber optic lighting can also be embedded into your concrete countertops to incorporate function with design and intrigue to your personal design style. With just one touch of a button your concrete countertops bring lighting and style to your home!
- Custom Backsplash – You may want your concrete countertop to go beyond the horizontal surface. With this unique feature, you can design a backsplash that matches the color and style of your countertops using the same concrete material to cast your backsplash.
No matter what your design plan is, concrete countertops offer a wide variety of options for you to choose from.